The Changemakers for the Planet programme is looking for young changemakers who tackle climate change, biodiversity loss, and air, sea, and land pollution. Changemakers for the Planet programme welcome applications from changemakers from a variety of backgrounds working to address the planetary crisis, including social entrepreneurs and innovators, social change agents and activists, and civil society leaders. We intentionally recruit a diverse variety of changemakers because the climate crisis requires an intersectional and coordinated approach between numerous stakeholders that are both tackling the root causes, and those who are responding to the changes which will affect society in a variety of ways.
Eligibility for the Changemakers for the Planet programme
Country: (for programme in Sub-Saharan Africa 2023) You must come from or currently living/having an impact in Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic), Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Réunion, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
(for programme in Latin America 2023) You must come from or currently living/having an impact in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela.
Age: For this programme you must be aged 18–35. Due to permission reasons, we focus on those over 18 years. (Please note that joining most of our other activities like the Train the Trainer workshop, capacity building programmes, or activities of The Possibilists is, however, possible for changemakers of all ages.)
Role: You are the founder/co-founder, leader/co-leader, manager/co-manager (or hold an influential position with decision-making power, e.g. intrapreneur) of a social/environmental venture/organization which is up and running and addresses the planetary crisis.
Language: The Latin American summit will be hosted in Spanish. The team onsite will also speak English and Portuguese, to support any non-native speakers, but participants will need a strong level of Spanish to fully take part. The Sub-Saharan African summit will be hosted in English, with French translation available to participants if required.
Complete application: The application form must be fully completed with no open questions or very obviously insufficient answers remaining.
only applicants who can commit to the full duration of the summit will be accepted. Also, they will only allow participants who have joined all sessions on all days into the ChangemakerXchange community.
Organization /Project criteria
When assessing the work of changemakers who apply to become a part of ChangemakerXchange they usually take the following aspects into account:
Stage: The organization should be beyond the idea stage and currently active.
Impact: The organization should solve an issue within the sphere of the planetary crisis (biodiversity loss, pollution, and climate change) and have some tangible impact.
Innovation: The organization should show some elements of innovation for the specific context.
Values: Applicants for a ChangemakerXchange summit should demonstrate an alignment with the CXC values.
Character: Applicants should show an entrepreneurial and creative mindset.
Motivation: Applicants should show motivation to co-create and collaborate.
Diversity: Diversity is also a critical criterion for us. The planetary crisis disproportionately affects society’s most at-risk individuals and regions. As such, we are putting a strong emphasis on curating cohorts that are diverse in terms of demographics and types of initiatives. Applicants from marginalized contexts and those with intersectional initiatives are a great fit for this programme and are encouraged to apply!
Requirement for the Changemakers for the Planet programme
- This programme is for Changemakers aged 18-35 from Sub-Saharan Africa with solutions to tackle the planetary crisis.
- It will commence with a summit from the 18th to the 22nd of September 2023, followed by funding opportunities for collaboration among participants.
- The summit will be hosted in English, with French translation if required. You can apply for the summit in English or French.
- Attending a ChangemakerXchange summit is the first step into the programme and joining the global community of 1000 changemakers from all over the world.
Benefits of the Changemakers for the Planet programme
- ChangemakerXchange will cover all costs associated with the submission and program such as accommodation, catering, local transportation, room hire, equipment and materials, COVID-19 rapid tests, FFP2 masks, facilitation &Hosting compensation, programme manager compensation, carbon emissions offsetting derived from the local hosting, post-summit capacity- building programme, and post-summit community engagement activities.
- If your circumstances do not allow you to afford the trip to the summit, please state so in the application and confirmation form. it will be evaluated for the possibility of offering you a partial or full stipend to ensure you can join the summit.
- Whilst everything (!) they can support your visa application by providing you with an invitation letter and hotel confirmation, please know that they cannot call the embassies/consulates to push for your visa. You will be responsible for your visa application process.
To Apply for the Changemakers for the Planet programme
- Kindly fill out the online form to apply for the Changemakers for the Planet programme.
- The call for applications for Changemakers for the Planet programmes in Latin America and Sub-Saharan Africa will be open from 27 April – 22 May 2023. Expect to hear back from us 3-4 weeks after the end of the deadline via e-mail (Around the 19th of June).
- Also, please note that you should have received a thank-you message when submitting your applications successfully and a short notification email from firstname.lastname@example.org with a summary of your responses (please check your junk folder). If you did not see either, please contact them at email@example.com.
Deadline for the Changemakers for the Planet programme
The applications for the program in Latin America and Sub-Saharan Africa in 2023 are open between 27th April to 22nd May 2023
Types of opportunity: Funding
Deadline: 22 May 2023
Open to: Ages 18-35 years
Duration: 18th to 22 September 2023
Organizer: Changemakers for the Planet programme
Country: Sub-Sharah Africa