DW Akademie is interested in bringing together 8 media viability experts from the Global South and Eastern Europe. The Media Viability Ambassadors aim to bring together a strong media through the (inter)national debates. Apply and join this incredible movement.
About The Media Viability Ambassadors
Deutsche Welle (DW) is Germany’s international broadcaster and one of the most successful and relevant international media outlets. The Media Viability Ambassadors program is a brainchild of DW Akademie. It provides a unique opportunity for individuals who are passionate about media viability. It provides opportunities like;
Learning from experts: You will have the chance to learn from media viability experts from various countries around the world. This will allow you to broaden your knowledge and gain valuable insights.
Enhancing consultancy and advocacy skills: The program focuses on polishing your consultancy and advocacy skills. You will have the opportunity to refine your expertise in these areas and apply them to real-world media viability challenges.
Collaboration with peers: Throughout the program, you will work closely with other Media Viability Ambassadors on relevant media viability topics. This collaborative approach will foster a dynamic learning environment and enable you to exchange ideas and experiences.
Program structure: The program spans from August to December 2023 and consists of 9 online modules. Additionally, there will be an in-person meeting at the Deutsche Welle (DW) headquarters in Bonn, Germany, from October 2nd to 6th, 2023.
Building a long-term community: DW Akademie aims to create a lasting media viability community and network beyond 2023. By participating in the program, you will become part of this community and have the opportunity to contribute to its growth and development.
If you have experience as a media consultant, advocate, entrepreneur, manager, or researcher dealing with media viability challenges in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, or the Middle East, and consider yourself an expert in this field, You can apply. Your valuable insights and expertise will contribute to the diverse perspectives within the program.
To be considered as a perfect candidate for this opportunity, you should meet the following criteria:
Good Working Knowledge of English: You should have a strong command of the English language to effectively participate in the program.
Media Industry Experience: You should have a proven track record of experience related to the media industry. This could include working as a consultant for media organizations, advocating for media-related issues at the policy level, media management, media research, or similar roles.
Strong Connections in the Media Sector: It is essential to have a well-established network within the media sector. This means being connected to various aspects of media viability and having a broad understanding of the industry.
Openness to (Self-)Reflection: You should be willing to engage in self-reflection and be open to learning and growth throughout the program.
Motivation to Share Expertise: It is important that you are motivated to share your expertise with the group of participants, contributing to the collective learning experience.
Interest in Long-term Media Viability Ambassadorship: If you are enthusiastic about being an active Media Viability Ambassador in the long run, it will be seen as a positive attribute.
The Media Viability Ambassador program is designed to be interactive and engaging, consisting of 9 online modules and one in-person module.
- Format: Online modules (interactive) and one in-person module
Duration: August to December 2023
- The Online Modules: will take Every two weeks, 2-3 half days per module with a total number of 9 online modules. Preparatory work between modules (approximately half a day per month)
- The In-person Module: will last for 3days Dating from October 2nd-4th, 2023 (3 full days)
Location: DW headquarters in Bonn, Germany
Participants will be invited to stay for two more days (October 5th and 6th, 2023) for the FOME Symposium, an international conference of the German Forum Media and Development.
- During the program, you will have the opportunity to reflect on your work, gain new insights and tools, enhance your understanding of media viability, and develop a media viability consultancy toolbox and an advocacy strategy.
- When you Successfully complete the program, you will be granted the title of Media Viability Ambassador.
Participation in the Media Viability Ambassador program is free of charge. Additionally, travel and accommodation expenses for the in-person event in Germany will be covered. However, there are some requirements and commitments expected from participants:
- Attendance: You must commit to attending all online and offline events throughout the program.
- Time commitment: The program will require approximately 4 days per month of your time between August and December 2023.
- Task completion: You are expected to actively participate and work on tasks between modules as needed.
- Expertise input: During one of the modules, you will be asked to provide input on your expertise in a specific area of media viability or consultancy procedures.
How you can apply
To apply for the position of Media Viability Ambassador, please follow these steps:
- Prepare a Letter of Interest: Write a letter of interest, keeping it within one page. Address the following aspects of your expertise profile:
- Motivation: Explain your motivation to become a Media Viability Ambassador and be part of the group. Describe what you believe you can contribute to the program.
- Expertise: Highlight your key expertise and how you apply it in your work.
- Success Story: Share a specific success story related to media viability. Describe a challenge you overcame in a media organization (as a consultant or manager), any media viability advocacy work you have done, and any intensive research you have conducted on media viability topics.
- Previous Cooperation: If you have worked with DW Akademie before (as a consultant, trainer, participant, etc.), provide relevant details and specify a contact person within DW Akademie.
- Include your CV or Relevant Website: Attach your CV or provide a link to a relevant website (such as LinkedIn or a similar platform) that showcases your professional background and experience.
- Submit your Application: Send your application in digital form as a PDF document to Rune Meissel (email@example.com) with Rose Kimani (firstname.lastname@example.org) in cc.
- Short-listed Applicants: If you are short-listed, you will be invited to an online interview.
- Notification of Selection: Selected applicants will be notified by June 29th, 2023.
Media Viability Ambassadors 2023 – Schedule
The Media Viability Ambassadors program will be conducted through various modules and activities. Here is the schedule for the program:
Offline Prep Phase
Preparation: Reading materials on media viability
Module 1: Getting to know each other & finding common ground
Dates: August 1st-2nd, 2023 (two ½ days)
Activities: Self-introductions, program introduction, discussions on media viability challenges, and understanding the concept of media viability
Module 2: E-Facilitation (Optional)
Dates: August 14th-17th, 2023 (two ½ days in the week)
Activities: Optional session for those interested in refining their online facilitation skills, covering topics like online collaboration tools and structuring online sessions
Module 3: Media Viability Consultancy Lab
Dates: August 29th-31st, 2023 (three ½ days)
Activities: Focus on consultancy skills, approaches, processes, roles, and (self-)reflection on participants’ consultancy work
Module 4: Media Viability Approaches and Tools Lab
Dates: September 11th-14th, 2023 (three ½ days in the week)
Activities: Discussion on media viability tools and approaches used by participants and offered by DW Akademie and other media development actors, Viability-Sprint onboarding
Module 5: Media Viability on the Policy Level (In-person)
Dates: October 2nd-6th, 2023 (five days in Bonn, Germany)
Activities: Advocacy workshop for media viability, exploring value-driven aspects of media viability, optional participation in the international FOME conference in Bonn
Modules 6-8: Deep dive into Aspects of Media Viability
Dates: October 16th-19th, October 30th-November 2nd, and November 13th-16th, 2023 (three times, two ½ days each in the weeks)
Activities: Focus on specific topics chosen by participants, such as audience research and engagement, organizational development, HR management, revenue models, or innovation for media viability
Module 9: Self-Marketing as an Expert/Consultant
Dates: November 27th-30th, 2023 (two ½ days in the week)
Activities: Exploring self-marketing strategies and enhancing participants’ profiles as media viability experts
Module 10: Presentation of Profiles and Program Results
Dates: December 11th-14th, 2023 (two ½ days in the week)
Activities: Participants present their profiles and discuss program outcomes, followed by discussions on future steps
Types of opportunity: Grant
Deadline: June 14, 2023.
Open to: All
Duration: 5 months, August – December
Organizer: DW Akademie