Apply now for the 2024 Equator Prize for Climate Action (USD 10,000). Applications are now open for the Equator Prize.
The Equator Prize Initiative is a United Nations-led partnership that brings together governments, civil society, grassroots organizations, and businesses to foster resilient communities by recognizing and advancing local nature-based solutions for sustainable development.
The Initiative creates opportunities and platforms to share knowledge and good practices, develops capacities of Indigenous peoples and local communities, informs policy through convening multi-stakeholder dialogues, and fosters enabling environments to replicate and scale up community action.
Eligibility and Requirements for the Equator Prize
Participants must meet the following to be eligible:
- Participants must have been in existence for at least three years, and the actions taken must have been in place for at least three years.
- The participants must be based in a country receiving support from the United Nations Development Program.
- The actions taken by the nominee must be nature-based and must deliver benefits related to two or more Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- The participant’s solution must have resulted in measurable and positive environmental, social, and economic impacts that deliver benefits to the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Participants must demonstrate new approaches and models that could offer fundamentally new approaches to adapting to climate change while advancing local sustainable development.
- Participant’s solutions must be able to replicate solutions within the country and beyond.
- Participants’ solutions should be able to adapt to environmental, social, and economic change, and resilience in the face of external pressures.
- The solution must include the social inclusion of youth, elders, indigenous peoples, and other diverse groups in the decision-making processes and the actions that affect them.
- The solution should ensure the equality and empowerment of women and girls.
What You Stand to Gain
Selected participants will receive the following:
- Each Equator Prize winner will receive USD 10,000.
- Selected winners will be supported to participate in a series of policy dialogues and special events in the fall of 2024.
The application deadline is the 26th of February, 2024.
Click here to apply.
For more information, visit the official webpage of the Equator Prize for Climate Action.