Applicants are invited to submit applications for the 2023 Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award. This prestigious award is open to young individuals aged 11-17. Submit your poems on any theme, of any length, and in any style for a chance to win fantastic prizes. Winners receive mentoring and development opportunities from the Poetry Society, and many past winners have become successful poets. The judges, Jonathan Edwards and Jane Yeh are eagerly awaiting your submissions.
About the Foyle Young Poets
The Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award has been supporting young writers since 1998, propelling the careers of talented voices like Sarah Howe, Jay Bernard, Helen Mort, Richard Osmond, Caroline Bird, Phoebe Stuckes, and more. With over 6,600 entries last year from the UK and worldwide, it’s the largest competition of its kind and is highly regarded.
Each year, 100 winners are chosen by two renowned poets, including 15 top winners and 85 commendations. Winners are honored at an annual prize-giving event in October. Thanks to funding from the Foyle Foundation, the competition is free to enter, and winners receive incredible prizes such as Poetry Society membership and poetry-related goodies. They also have the opportunity to receive mentoring, develop their writing skills alongside other poets, participate in poetry residencies, or benefit from online writing workshops.
- Winners can receive mentoring, develop their writing skills, and engage with other poets.
- All 100 winners are invited to a prestigious awards ceremony in London (or an online alternative if needed).
- The top 15 winners will have their poems featured in the winners’ print anthology, with 25,000 copies distributed to schools, libraries, and poetry enthusiasts. The anthology will also be available online.
- The 85 commended poets have their work published in an online anthology and their names are featured in the print anthology.
- The top 15 winners can attend a transformative residential writing course at an Arvon Centre or receive sustained mentoring from a professional poet.
- All 100 winners receive a year’s Youth Membership of The Poetry Society.
- All 100 winners receive a goody bag filled with books and treats donated by supporters.
The Foyle Young Poets is open to:
- To enter, you must be between the ages of 11 and 17 on the closing date of July 31, 2023.
- You can submit more than one poem, but it is recommended to focus on drafting and revising your poems and send only your best selections. Quality is more important than quantity.
- The competition is free to enter, and your poems can be of any length and on any theme.
- Original work in English is accepted, but phrases in other languages or the author’s mother tongue are allowed.
- By submitting your work, you agree that it will be considered for its first publication anywhere in the world. This includes anthologies, magazines, solo collections, school prints, school newsletters, online platforms (such as blogs and online magazines), and social media (such as Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram). The poems should not have been broadcast on any regional, national, or online TV station or radio platform.
- The submitted poems should not have won any other competitions.
- All poems must be original work, and plagiarism checks are conducted on all selected poems.
- While the poems must be primarily written in English, you can include phrases in your mother tongue or another language
- Entries are accepted worldwide, but travel expenses for winners attending the award ceremony are not covered.
Foyle Young Poets Theme
Participants can submit their poems on any theme, of any length, and in any style
Foyle Young Poets Funding Information
- The 100 winning poets (top 15 and 85 commendations) will be notified in September 2023 and invited to the award ceremony in October 2023.
- Winners will need to provide a biography, photograph, permission form, and proof of age.
- The Poetry Society will have the irrevocable, non-exclusive license to republish the winning poems in perpetuity, including online publication, reprints, anthologies, and educational resources.
- For inspiration and additional resources, visit the Young Poets Network, where you can find prompts, tips, and insights from past winners, also watch the video https://youtu.be/hl2cThCMEak for tips.
To apply for the Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award:
- Fill out the online form. On the form, you will be asked to select the box that best describes you.
- Please note that you will need to have an email address in order to complete the online application.
- If you haven’t registered an account before, you will need to create one. You can do so by clicking Register and following the registration process.
- For young poets aged 11-12, you will require permission from a parent or guardian to enter. Without this permission, the organizers are not allowed to keep information about the young poet, including contact details. If you fall into this age group, you should complete the parent/guardian permission form provided.
- By following the provided links and completing the necessary steps, you will be able to apply for the Foyle Young Poets of the Year Award.
Types of opportunity: Funding
Deadline: 31st July 2023
Open to: ages 11 – 17 years
Organizer: The Poetry Society
For any queries about the Foyle Young Poets competition email email@example.com or call 020 7420 9880.
For more information about the Foyle Young Poets Award visit Foyle Foundation.