On June 28, 2023, in Hiroshima, Japan, the UNITAR Division for Prosperity is announcing a special opportunity for women entrepreneurs and business leaders in Africa. They are inviting women who run small and medium-sized businesses in West, Central, and Southern Africa to apply for the Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment 2023 Entrepreneurship and Financial Literacy Training Programme. This program aims to provide training and support to help women succeed in their businesses. The deadline to apply is July 31, 2023, at midnight East Africa Time.
About UNITAR Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment
This online training program is organized by the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), specifically the Division for Prosperity based in Hiroshima, Japan. The UNITAR Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment Training Program is conducted in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and is financially supported by the Government of Canada.
The main objective of this training program is to provide participants with essential knowledge and skills in entrepreneurship and financial management. It aims to empower participants and inspire them to make a positive impact in their communities. The program will last for seven weeks, starting in August 2023, and will be conducted in both English and French.
During the program, participants will have access to a self-paced online course. This course will cover various topics such as women’s entrepreneurship, developing an entrepreneurial mindset, design thinking, creating a scalable and sustainable enterprise, financial management, and risk management. In addition to the online course, participants will engage in weekly discussions, complete assignments, and have access to additional resources to enhance their learning experience.
The Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment Training Program is organized by the UNITAR Division for Prosperity / Hiroshima Office in partnership with the UNDP, with support from the Government of Canada.
By the end of the UNITAR Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment Training Program, participants will be able to achieve the following learning objectives:
- Identify the current opportunities and challenges in promoting gender equality, particularly in the context of entrepreneurship. Participants will gain an understanding of the gender-related issues that impact entrepreneurship and explore strategies for promoting gender equality in business.
- Understand the process of entrepreneurship, including how to identify opportunities and gather resources to start a new business venture. Learners will gain knowledge about the steps involved in bringing a business idea to life.
- Apply various tools and techniques to develop solutions that meet customer needs and address problems effectively. They will learn how to create innovative and sustainable solutions that are desirable, feasible, and viable.
- Design a suitable business model that aligns with their specific enterprise and target customers. They will be able to develop revenue models that capture the value they provide to customers in different forms.
- Utilize accounting and financial management tools and techniques to monitor their finances effectively. Learners will learn how to make informed business decisions based on financial data, ensuring the sustainability and growth of their enterprises.
- Develop strategies to manage financial risks and mitigate them effectively. They will understand how to craft financial plans and take appropriate measures to minimize risks that may arise in their business operations.
To be eligible for the UNITAR Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment program applicants must meet the following criteria:
Gender and Age: Applicants must identify as women and be between the ages of 18 and 45.
Entrepreneurial Interest: Applicants should be established or aspiring entrepreneurs who have a strong entrepreneurial idea or initiative and a genuine interest in entrepreneurship and financial literacy.
Passion and Motivation: Applicants should possess a keen passion and motivation to learn and make positive contributions to society and their country.
Commitment: Applicants must be committed to actively engaging in the program for its entire duration. This includes attending webinars and actively participating in all program activities.
Country: The UNITAR Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment Training Program is open to women entrepreneurs in the following countries: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Central African Republic, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo Republic, Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, Eswatini, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, The Gambia, Togo, United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
To be eligible for the UNITAR Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment Training Program, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Electronic Device: Applicants should have access to an electronic device such as a desktop computer, laptop, or smartphone for the entire duration of the program. This device will be needed to participate in online activities and access program materials.
- Language Skills: Applicants should have good oral and written communication skills in either English or French. The program will be conducted in one of these languages, and participants should be able to effectively understand and express themselves in the chosen language.
The UNITAR Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment Training Program is scheduled for the 7-week online training as follows:
- Format: The training will be hosted on an interactive mobile application, allowing participants to engage in self-paced learning.
- Modules: The program will cover modules in entrepreneurship and financial literacy. Participants will have access to online courses that they can complete at their own pace.
- Peer Engagement: Participants will have the opportunity to engage in peer-to-peer discussions and collaborate on assignments. This will enable them to learn from each other and exchange ideas.
- Certificate: Participants who successfully complete the program and meet the minimum criteria will receive a certificate of completion jointly issued by UNITAR and UNDP. This certificate will serve as recognition of their participation and completion of the training.
To apply for the UNITAR Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment Training Program, follow these steps:
- Click on the UNITAR Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment Training Program Application Form
Scroll down to the “Terms and Conditions” section of the application.
- Click “Yes” to indicate your agreement with the terms and conditions.
- Complete all the questions in the survey. Make sure to provide accurate and detailed information.
- Once you have submitted your application, the UNITAR team will review it on a merit basis.
- If your application is successful, the UNITAR team will inform you about the next steps and provide further instructions.
- It is advisable to apply early as applications may be reviewed and processed on a rolling basis. Make sure to carefully complete the application form and provide all the necessary information.
Types of opportunity:
Deadline: 31st July 2023
Open to: Women aged 18 to 45 years
Country: Across sub-Saharan Africa
If you encounter any technical issues while completing your application or if you have any questions or need clarification about the program, please feel free to reach out to Margaret Nduta at Margaret. Nduta@unitar.org.
For more information Visit the official website of the UNITAR Advancing Gender Equality and Women Empowerment Training Program