Open Technology Fund (OTF) is seeking applications for its Internet Freedom Fund to support projects that promote human rights, open societies, and Internet freedom. OTF aims to fast-track the advancement of a global communication network for at-risk users, journalists, human rights defenders, civil society activists, and everyday people to speak freely online.
OTF’s focus is prioritizing internet safety for everyone. OTF intends to create a defense to help mitigate digital security and threats to internet freedom and counteract censorship and surveillance to support technologists. OTF prioritizes individuals and organizations who are applying for the first time. The Internet Freedom Fund projects support people in areas like Technology Development, Applied Research, Digital Security Support, or Events.
Read Also: Apply now for the MEST Africa Challenge 2023
Eligibility and Requirements for the Open Technology Fund (OTF)
Ideal participants are to meet the following:
- Participants are to support or develop open and accessible technologies promoting human rights and open societies.
- Participants can be of any age and nationality.
- Participants from a research institution in any country can apply.
- Participants with a for-profit organization or business in any country can apply.
- Participants should have experience in completing successful projects.
- OTF reserves the right to request additional background information on organizations.
- Applications submitted should have originality and substance.
- Participants should consider their ability to achieve ambitious objectives like a work plan, substantive undertakings, and the logistical capacity of the organization.
- After applying, the participants selected will provide a monthly timeline of project activities.
- Participants should consider the cost-effectiveness of their innovative ideas.
- Participants should submit projects with sustainability and show the project’s contribution to improving human lives.
What You Stand to Gain from the Open Technology Fund (OTF)
The award information is as follows:
- Selected projects will receive payment upon completion of the stated objective and activities per a schedule outlined in the contract.
- Participants selected will have an award ceiling of $300,000.
Application Process for the Open Technology Fund (OTF)
The Internet Freedom Fund accepts applications in a two-stage process. The applications will be submitted as concept notes. OTF will invite the applicant to submit a full proposal.
Click here to apply.
For more information, visit the official webpage of