The Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) is starting the 9th Edition of the Science by Women program. The aim is to empower African women Researchers in scientific and technology transfer, as well as strengthen research centers in their home countries. The program focuses on addressing challenges in health, agriculture, water, energy, and climate change in Africa.
Women in Africa face barriers that limit their ability to contribute to development. Gender disparities in science and technology affect the whole continent and hinder balanced and sustainable progress. The program’s main goal is to enable African women researchers to lead Africa’s transition to a knowledge-based and innovative economy by conducting research that can be turned into useful products, processes, services, and technologies.
To achieve this goal, FMxA partners with prestigious Spanish research centers that are recognized nationally and internationally. In the 9th edition, the associated research centers include various institutions working in different fields. Each center will host a senior woman researcher for a six-month fellowship, and preference will be given to those with a Ph.D. and post-doctoral experience. ISCIII and BC3 will host two fellows each.
Applications will be subjected to a rigorous selection process, evaluating the academic merits and leadership of the applicants as well as the scientific quality and expected impact of their research projects. Selected candidates for the Science by Women program will receive training and integration in a dynamic, multidisciplinary, and highly competitive working team, where they will be able to develop their research projects and acquire complementary skills, empowering them to transfer their research results into tangible economic and social benefits.
The Science by Women program provides funding for six-month visiting senior research fellowships for experienced African women researchers. These fellowships allow them to conduct research at international research centers of excellence located in Spain. Although, the research stays last for a continuous period of six months, however, depending on the personal and professional needs of the researcher, and with the approval of the host research center, the planned research can be split into two separate stays. These stays must be completed within two years after the fellowship has been awarded.
The Science by Women program focuses on supporting research in the following preferred areas:
- Health and Bio-medicine
- Energy, Water, and Climate Change
- Sustainable Agriculture and Food Safety
Successful candidates selected for the Science by Women program will receive the following benefits:
Return Flight: The Science by Women program covers the cost of a round-trip flight from the researcher’s home institution to the host research center in Spain.
Living Allowance: Beneficiaries will receive a monthly living allowance of 2,400 Euros (before 24% taxes). This allowance is intended to cover accommodation expenses, personal expenses, and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
Exclusive Research Focus: During the research stay, beneficiaries are expected to dedicate themselves entirely to their research at the assigned research center. They are not allowed to receive any other fellowships, grants, stipends, or regular income during this period.
Written Agreement: In some cases, beneficiaries may be required to formalize their relationship with the research center through a written agreement.
Tax and Social Security: The Woman for Africa Foundation or the research center may withhold or retain compulsory amounts from the living allowances in accordance with local tax and social security regulations.
Visa Assistance: The Women for Africa Foundation, in collaboration with the research center, will assist the beneficiaries in completing the necessary formalities to obtain a visa from Spanish Embassies and Consulates
To be eligible for the Science by Women program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Gender: Applicants must be women.
- Nationality: Applicants must hold the nationality of an African country.
- Education: Applicants must hold a Ph.D. degree. While not mandatory, preference may be given to those with post-doctoral experience.
- Current Affiliation: Applicants must have a current contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa. The organization should be dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas specified above, which include health and bio-medicine, energy, water and climate change, and sustainable agriculture and food safety.
- Academic Record and Research Experience: Applicants should have an excellent academic record and a proven track record of relevant research experience.
- Applicants should possess a solid working knowledge of the English language.
How to apply
To apply for the Science by Women program, follow the application process outlined below:
- All applications must be submitted in English. Applications in any other language will not be accepted.
- Click on the Science by Women microsite at www.mujeresporafrica.es to access the application portal. Submit your application through the provided online form. Or click on the Science by Women program Application form
- Required Documents: Prepare the following documents to be included in your application:
a. Letter of Interest: Write a letter expressing your interest in the program. The letter should be no longer than one page.
b. Curriculum Vitae: Prepare a full curriculum vitae, preferably in Europass format, highlighting your educational background, research experience, and relevant achievements.
c. Application Form: Fill out the application form completely, providing all the requested information.
d. Project Description: Prepare a brief and concise description of the research project you intend to undertake during your stay at the Spanish host center. The project description should be a maximum of two pages. Make sure your research proposal aligns with the main research areas specified in section 6 of the Rules & Guidelines document.
Once you have prepared all the required documents, upload them through the online application form.
The selection process for the Science by Women program involves a rigorous evaluation by the Women for Africa Foundation’s Scientific Committee. The committee will assess applications based on the following criteria:
- Research Career: The candidate’s research career, curriculum vitae, and experience as an independent research group leader will be evaluated.
- Scientific-Technical Quality: The quality and innovation potential of the proposed research project will be considered.
- Economic and Social Impact: The expected and measurable economic or social impact of the research project will be assessed.
- Communication and Dissemination Plan: The candidate’s plan to communicate and disseminate the project’s results will be reviewed.
- Ethical Considerations: Proper consideration of ethical issues related to the research project, where applicable, will be taken into account.
- Successful applicants are expected to present research projects that are innovative, address the needs of African populations, and have the potential to be translated into products, patents, services, or public policies that benefit society and contribute to economic competitiveness.
- The final decision of the jury will be announced by November 2023.
- Once the list of awarded fellowships is published, successful applicants will have 10 days to accept the offer. Failure to accept within the given timeframe will result in the fellowship being offered to another applicant on the reserve list.
- Fellowship recipients must adhere to the internal academic and legal regulations of the host research center. The award of the fellowship does not create any statutory or employment relationship with FMxA, and recipients are expected to return to their places of origin in Africa after completing their research stay.
- Within 2 months after the completion of their research stay, fellowship recipients are required to submit a final report to the Women for Africa Foundation. This report should include the results of their research project and proposals for further collaboration between the host center and the recipient’s home institution.
- The intellectual and industrial property generated by the beneficiaries during their research stay will be governed by the terms and conditions applicable to the host entity’s research personnel.
- By submitting their applications, fellowship recipients grant the Women for Africa Foundation and the host center the right to publish and disseminate the results of their research projects, while acknowledging the support received from FMxA and the collaborating research center.
Application Deadline: Ensure that you submit your application before the deadline, which is September 30, 2023.
Types of opportunity: Research fellowship.
Deadline: September 30, 2023.
Worth: Fully funded with 2,400 Euros stipends
Open to: Women Researchers.
Duration: six continuous months.
Organizer: Women for Africa Foundation.
Country: African countries
For questions about the Science by Women program email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information Visit the official website of the Women for Africa Foundation.