The African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD) is excited to invite applications for The AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in Science a second Cohort of young women in science who will participate in an enhanced customized leadership program. This Call targets young women in science under 35 years of age and is open to all countries in sub-Saharan Africa. The inaugural Cohort of the AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in Science, piloted in 2021, comprised 24 women from 10 African countries.
About The AWARD Leadership Program
The AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in Science is a customized
learning experience targeting young African women in science under the age of 35 years. The collaborative program is designed to equip participants with the skills and confidence to lead and innovate in the scientific world. A six-month virtual program, the AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in Science will be offered to young women from sub-Saharan Africa who will be competitively selected through an open call for applications.
In May 2023 Women comprise a mere 28.8 percent of the world’s scientists and won only three percent of the science Nobel Prizes and five percent of all Nobel prizes. The underrepresentation of women in leadership roles ultimately affects progress toward sustainable development and achievement of the global sustainable development goals. To ensure women’s effective participation in leadership, it is critical that women access learning opportunities to gain skills that will equip them to lead effectively. The AWARD Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in Science is tailored to address some of the challenges that impede young women’s growth into leadership in science.
African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD) works toward inclusive, agriculture-driven prosperity for Africa by strengthening the production and dissemination of more gender-responsive agricultural research and innovation. We invest in African scientists and research institutions so that they can deliver agricultural innovations that better respond to the needs and priorities of a diversity of women and men across Africa’s agricultural value chains.
About AWARD Training
AWARD’s training courses reflect our commitment to unlocking the potential of scientific innovation for agriculture-driven inclusive growth and prosperity. Available to participants from all over the world, AWARD training courses cover a broad base of knowledge and skills designed to leave participants enlightened, empowered, and inspired to make significant positive impacts on their careers and on the institutions for which they work. AWARD has invested heavily in building a pool of highly qualified trainers equipped with the skills and tools needed to deliver AWARD courses at global standards. Today, AWARD has a cadre of 36 trainers from nine African countries highly skilled in facilitating learning.
The Leadership Program for Emerging African Women in STEM will comprise highly interactive training sessions on leadership and management, proposal writing and communication skills, and gender-responsive research, as well as group coaching sessions.
AWARD Training will deliver the training and coaching.
Participants will get a deeper understanding of:
• Effective leadership styles and developing their leadership potential
• How to define their career path and leverage networks to advance their careers
• How to develop personal brands to build confidence in pitching their research ideas to potential funding
agencies and collaborators
• The necessary tools and skills to successfully manage teams, navigate organizational dynamics, build
alliances, and take risks
• How to navigate around gender dynamics and apply proven strategies to be effective negotiators and problem solvers
Module Topics covered
• Gender Responsive Research:
– Why gender matters
– Gender in the project cycle
– Assessing gender dynamics along the value chain
• Leadership and Management:
– Leadership and management
– Emotional Intelligence
– Strategic influencing
– Developing a roadmap for your career
• Proposal Writing and Communication Skills:
– Developing problem/opportunity
– Steps from Concept Note to full
– Monitoring evaluation
Eligibility and participation
- The program is available to high-potential female applicants below the age of 35 years working in science, and with at least five years of full-time sector experience
- Education qualification: Applicants must have a minimum of a B.Sc. degree from a recognized university
- Applicants must demonstrate their commitment to growth, clearly articulate their career goals, and demonstrate their ability to take on leadership responsibility
- Only applicants from sub-Saharan African countries are eligible to apply
- Language: The language of instruction and delivery is English, and participants must have a working knowledge of the English language. Language support is not available for this program
- Applicants must submit their application no later than June 16, 2023 2359hrs EAT
- Applications must be submitted only through the online link provided on our website
- Successful participants will be notified by July 2023
- AWARD Fellows, Fellows’ mentees, One Planet Laureate Candidates, and Mentors are not eligible
- The participants MUST commit to attending all the training sessions. A session guide will be shared in advance
- The program is offered exclusively via virtual platforms and participants will need access to a computer and internet connection. The basic requirements will be to access YouTube, ZOOM, and the AWARD online training portal.
- The six-month virtual collaborative leadership program is uniquely designed to equip participants with the skills and confidence to lead and innovate. Participants will attend immersive training sessions on various topics, including leadership and management, communication, and gender-responsive research. The program is further designed to foster peer learning through group coaching, enabling participants to leverage peers’ wisdom and experience to respond to leadership challenges better.
- The Leadership Program will also expose participants to innovative tools for developing career roadmaps and navigating complex environments, expanding their networks while prioritizing their participation in various learning forums offered by AWARD and its partners.
- The training sessions will comprise two weekly live virtual sessions and offline assignments and offered over a period of six months.
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion upon successfully attending and completing all training sessions.
The Call for applications closes on June 16, 2023, at 23:59 East Africa Time (GMT+3). Applications will NOT be accepted after this date. Applications are strictly via the online portal on the AWARD website.
to apply for the Award Leadership Program kindly fill out the online form.
Types of opportunity: Funding / Scholarship
Deadline: 16 June 2023
Open to: women aged 35 and bellow
Duration: 6 months
Country: Sub-Sahara African Countries
For more information on The AWARD Leadership Program and AWARD Training visit: AWARD