Are you interested in owning your restaurant? The Kitchen is searching for determined individuals who want to create a thriving business. Whether you’re a skilled chef, have hospitality experience, or simply have a passion for food, you can apply to participate in The Kitchen competition.
If you’ve always dreamed of having your own restaurant, this is your chance to make it a reality. In October, four contestants will have the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities and show customers that they have what it takes to succeed in the restaurant industry. The challenge involves creating a pop-up restaurant that will operate for three nights, and the ultimate goal is to determine who will become the next top restaurateur in Nigeria.
- The winner of The Kitchen competition will receive a prize of N5,000,000 (five million nairas) and have the opportunity to become a Mastercard Ambassador.
- All Kitchen activities will take place in Lagos. It is up to the semi-finalists and finalists to cover their travel and accommodation costs throughout The Kitchen competition.
- Think about your team while applying. Who will be the head chef, kitchen staff, waiting staff, floor manager/front of the house? If you are chosen as a finalist, you will be expected to bring in your own team to help you with your 3-night pop-up.
- Lost in a City will provide you with the space, table, and chairs, all basic appliances and utensils in the kitchen, all plates, glasses, utensils for serving, napkins, and placemats. The budget you will be given will go towards buying your ingredients, putting together your team, and creating the ambiance for your night.
- 6 semi-finalists will do a cooking test on the 21st and 22nd of August 2023 for the judges. Please ensure you are available in Lagos on these dates in case you are chosen. If chosen, you will be responsible for your ingredients to make one dish from your menu.
- Applications for The Kitchen competition are open to individuals or two-person teams who are serious about getting into the restaurant business. While it is not necessary to be a chef, applicants should have a chef already working with them. If you are a chef and have always dreamed about opening your own restaurant, you are also eligible to apply.
- Having experience in the hospitality industry, whether as a chef or in restaurant management, is helpful and considered important for applicants. It showcases your skills and understanding of the industry, enhancing your chances of being selected for the competition.
How to apply
To be considered as a candidate for The Kitchen competition please fill out the application form, and include the following:
1. 3 Course Menu, with 3 options for each course
2. One minute video introducing yourself and your partner if you have one, and answer the three questions listed in the video guide
Here’s a guide to help you with your application for The Kitchen competition:
- Prepare a 3-course sample menu: Create a menu that includes an appetizer, a main dish, and a dessert. Make sure to include a vegetarian option in your menu. Remember, you or the chef you’ll be working with will be responsible for preparing the dishes from the menu you submit.
- Record a short video introducing yourself: Create a brief video where you introduce yourself. Share information about your background, experience, and passion for the restaurant industry. Be authentic and enthusiastic in showcasing your skills and aspirations.
- Have your documents ready: Make sure you have your 3-course sample menu and the video readily available before starting the application process.
- Submit your application: Fill out the application form and include the required documents, such as your menu and video. Ensure that all the information provided is accurate and complete.
- Selection process: A panel of four judges will review the applications and select six semi-finalists based on their menus and video submissions. The chosen semi-finalists will be expected to prepare one dish from their menu during the semi-finalist round.
- Finalists selection: From the semi-finalists, four finalists will be selected based on the execution of their chosen dish. The judges will assess the taste, presentation, and overall culinary skills demonstrated by the finalists.
Guide for Menu
To create a well-thought-out and impressive 3-course menu for The Kitchen competition, follow this guide:
- Include three options for each course: Your menu should have three choices for the appetizer, main dish/course, and dessert. Ensure that you offer a vegetarian option among the choices for each course.
- Carefully plan your menu: Your submitted menu will be the one you’ll serve at your pop-up restaurant over the three nights of the competition. Give careful consideration to the dishes you choose and make sure they are well-balanced, creative, and aligned with your culinary style.
- Provide descriptions for your menu: Alongside each dish, include detailed descriptions that showcase your originality and creativity. Use vivid and enticing language to make the judges eager to taste your creations.
- Check for spelling and grammar: Thoroughly review your menu to eliminate any typos or spelling mistakes. Such errors can negatively impact your overall rating, so it’s essential to have someone proofread your menu before submission.
- Reflect on your skills and theme: Your menu should serve as a reflection of your culinary skills and highlight the theme you intend to incorporate into your pop-up restaurant. Consider how your dishes and their descriptions align with your desired atmosphere and overall concept.
- Consider ingredient sourcing and cost: Take into account the availability and cost of the ingredients you plan to use in your dishes. Ensure they are feasible within your budget and that you can easily source them.
- Keep your budget in mind: Remember that your budget will be derived from ticket sales, so you will be responsible for promoting your pop-up and driving ticket sales. Your budget should cover food costs, assembling your back-of-house and front-of-house teams, and decorating the space.
- Design a menu you can execute well: Keep in mind that you or your partner will be expected to execute the menu you submit. Design your menu based on your skills and expertise, choosing dishes that you are confident in preparing to a high standard.
- Save your menu as a Word document or PDF: Ensure that your menu is saved as a separate document, preferably in either a Word document or PDF format. Use the same name as your application when saving the file
Guide for the Video
To create an impressive 1-minute video for The Kitchen competition, follow this guide:
- Be prepared: Have your 1-minute video ready before filling out the application form.
- Include yourself and your partner: If applying as a team, both of you should appear in the video.
- Introduce yourself: Share a brief background about yourself and your connection to the restaurant industry.
- Answer the questions:
a. Discuss your relevant work, skills, or accomplishments.
b. Explain your passion and motivations for wanting to own a restaurant.
c. Highlight what sets you apart and why the judges should choose you.
d. Use visuals, storytelling, or any other creative elements to make your video stand out.
e. Save the video as an MP4 file with the same name as your application.
- Remember to be concise, authentic, and engaging in your video. Show your enthusiasm and convince the judges why you are the ideal candidate. Best of luck!
Four contestants will be chosen based on their applications to compete to win N5 million towards their dream of opening a restaurant.
- Each contestant will be given a budget to create a three-night pop-up restaurant in Lagos for 20 paying guests per night.
- The guests, and four professional judges, will rate your pop-up based on your food, ambiance, and service.
- The contestants will be expected to buy their ingredients, hire staff and create the ambiance at the given venue, with the budget they are given.
- They will have four days to prepare and three nights for their pop-up.
- If you think you have what it takes simply submit your application to be considered for one of the 4 potential contestants.
Successful candidates requirement
As a finalist in The Kitchen competition here are some important requirements to keep in mind:
- Availability: You must be available throughout The Kitchen competition period in Lagos. Specifically, you need to be present for the semi-finalist cooking test on the 21st and 22nd of August. The preparation period for each contestant will begin on the 4th of September, with each subsequent contestant starting their preparation on Mondays. The final night of the pop-up for the last contestants will be on the 1st of October.
- Winner Announcement: The winner will be announced on the 4th of October, and it is expected that all contestants attend the announcement event.
- Filming: The Kitchen competition will be filmed, so you will be required to sign a release form granting permission for your participation to be recorded.
Types of opportunity: Competition
Open to: All
Location: Lagos, Nigeria.
Organizer: Lost in a City.
Watch The Kitchen competition season2 episode 1 video https://youtu.be/PD0-c3vpw7c
See The Kitchen competition photo gallery to know what to expect
For questions, email Info@thekitchen.ng
For more information visit The Kitchen