The Mozilla Technology Fund (MTF) 2024 calls for Proposals to foster AI and Environmental Justice. The Mozilla Technology Fund is seeking to fund research and development in the Artificial Intelligence (AI) world.
Mozilla is intent on convening technical projects with a firm grounding in environmental and climate justice, sustainability, and ecology. MTF understands that the effects of climate change are not well proportioned by the global south, especially people of ethnic-racial groups, and local communities.
AI justice space is in its early stages. For this round of funding, MTF is willing to consider the early stage of experimental projects as long as they are built by a team with a track of success.
Categories of Project for The Mozilla Technology Fund
Some categories of projects we are interested in funding during this round:
- Projects which expose or mitigate the climate impacts of AI systems.
- Projects that utilize AI to conduct environmental impact assessments.
- Projects that prototype Grassroots AI systems for ecological management.
- Projects that combat climate disinformation.
Eligibility and Requirements for The Mozilla Technology Fund
Applicant must meet the following requirements:
- The MTF will only take on projects at the idea stage as far as it can demonstrate a track record of success.
- Applicants who can embrace openness, and transparency are to apply.
- Applicants are to make their work available under an open-source license
- Applicants must be legally able to receive grant from the Mozilla Foundation.
- Applicant’s proposals should be geared toward solving a public interest problem.
- Applicants are to meet the criteria outlined above.
What You Stand to Gain from The Mozilla Technology Fund
The following are what you stand to gain from the MTF.
- The MTF will provide awards of up to $50,000 each.
- Selected applicants will receive one year of mentorship and support for open-source projects.
- Selected applicants will be expected to join a monthly cohort for the duration of their project.
- Selected applicants will have access to MTF Fellows, who will serve as mentors.
Applicants should expect a response within six weeks of applying.
Click here to submit your application.
Applications will end on October 5th, 2023.
For more information, visit the official webpage of The Mozilla Technology Fund (MTF) 2024.