The World Academic of Sciences, TWAS is inviting masters degree holder not older than 35 years by Dec 31 2023 and who wants to pursue their research to the Level of Ph.D. for a duration of minimum 6 months and a maximum of 12 months fellowship in Pakistan. They also have a sandwich option for Researchers.
Young scientists from developing nations (other than Pakistan) who want to pursue research toward a Ph.D. in chemical and biological sciences are eligible for fellowships from TWAS and the International Centre for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS), which is housed in Karachi, Pakistan and consists of the H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry and the Dr. Panjwani Centre for Molecular and Drug Research.
TWAS promotes sustainable development through research, education, policy, and diplomacy. The Academy is headquartered in Trieste, Italy. TWAS’s mission has remained stable for nearly four decades, although its daily work has adapted to changing events and situations such as:
- Recognize, support, and encourage excellence in scientific research in developing countries.
- Respond to the requirements of young scientists in nations that are still emerging in science and technology.
- Encourage South-South and South-North collaboration in research, technology, and innovation.
- Encourage scientific research and the exchange of experiences in addressing important issues confronting emerging nations.
TWAS and its partners have over the years awarded more than 600 fellowships per year to developing-world scientists pursuing Ph.D. degrees and postdoctoral research. TWAS honors and awards are among the most prestigious awards in developing countries for scientific work. Every year, the Academy awards almost $1 million in research grants to individual scientists and research organizations. It also offers financing for regional and international science meetings and supports visiting scientists.
02-Structural, Cell, and Molecular Biology
03-Biological Systems and Organisms
04-Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- TWAS-ICCBS Postgraduate Fellowships are available at the International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS), which includes the H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry and the Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular and Drug Research, for doctoral studies in organic chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular medicine, pharmacology, physical chemistry, or analytical chemistry.
- To be eligible for the fellowship, applicants must be registered for a Ph.D. degree in their native country (SANDWICH option).
- The Fellowship may be given for a minimum of six months and for a maximum length to be agreed upon with ICCBS.
- The ICCBS will grant a monthly stipend to cover living expenses such as food, lodging, local transportation, and minor illnesses.
The monthly payment will be not convertible into foreign currency.
English is the official and only language you will be instructed and taught in.
Applicants for these scholarships must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be no older than 35 years old on December 31st of the application year.
possess a Master’s degree in scientific sciences;
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
- Possess no visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any of the developed countries;
- Present a certificate of good health from a qualified medical doctor;
- Be registered Ph.D. students in their home country and present the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” from the HOME institution. (scroll down to see the link to the example)
- Produce an authentic Preliminary Acceptance Letter from ICCBS (scroll down to see the link to a sample preliminary acceptance letter, which can be downloaded or included in the application form).
- Requests for acceptance should be made to the Director of ICCBS (Prof. M.I. Choudhary at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org), who will arrange for a host supervisor to be assigned. When contacting Prof. Choudhary, applicants must include a copy of their CV, a research proposal outline, and two reference letters;
- Provide evidence of English proficiency if the medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that he/she will return to her/his home country upon completion of the fellowship;
- Will not take on other assignments during the fellowship period;
- Will be financially responsible for any accompanying family member.
- The eligible countries are here
- Applicants must present an Acceptance Letter from ICCBS while applying, or before the deadline. The application will not be considered for selection until preliminary acceptance is obtained.
- Reference letters must be typed on letterhead and SIGNED.
- Please be aware that candidates can only submit applications for one TWAS and OWSD program per calendar year. Applicants will not be able to visit another university during that year as part of the TWAS Visiting Professor programs. One exception: If the head of an institution asks an external researcher to offer his or her experience through the TWAS Visiting Professor programs, the head of the institution may still apply for another program.
- Applications can only be accepted through the online portal.
- Applications may only be submitted electronically using the web portal. Download a tutorial on how to use the online application form (see links below.)
- Click on the application form, create an account
- Applicants are advised to apply for the preliminary acceptance letter as soon as possible, even before the call opens. Keep in mind that only acceptance letters from the same year as the application are acceptable. Applicants are asked to submit a two-page curriculum vitae (CV), a copy of their most recent degree, and at least two letters of recommendation (ideally one from their current supervisor) for the acceptance letters.
- Tips on how to fill out the form
- Online Forms Tutorial
- Sample acceptance letter
Opening date of this fellowship: 1 April 2023
Closing date of this fellowship: 30 June 2023 (midnight CEST time)
Types of opportunity: Funding
Deadline: 30th June 2023
Open to: Masters holders
Duration: 6 to 12 months
Country: Developing countries Worldwide
For questions and inquiries reach out to the following contact details.
• TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 687
Fax: +39 040 2240689
• International Center for Chemical and Biological Sciences (ICCBS)
Prof. Dr. Muhammad Iqbal Choudhary, Director
University of Karachi
Tel: +92 21 4824 924, 4824 925
Fax: +92 21 4819 018, 4819 019
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have technical problems with the online form, please contact email@example.com
for more information visit TWAS