The World Forum for Democracy 2023 provides a unique platform where political leaders and activists come together to discuss and find solutions to the key challenges faced by democracies worldwide. It focuses on identifying and analyzing experimental initiatives and practices that promote democracy at the grassroots level and their potential for wider implementation. The aim is to strengthen the foundations of democratic societies by encouraging innovative approaches and fostering more inclusive and participatory structures and institutions.
In the 2023 edition of the World Forum on Democracy, the central theme revolves around the question of whether democracy can effectively ensure and promote peace. Discussions will center on examining successful initiatives and actions that have real-life impacts. From these experiences, general guiding principles will be derived to guide future policy responses and practical interventions. As part of this event, the Youth Department of the Council of Europe will invite and prepare a delegation of young people to actively engage with decision-makers and thought leaders in a reflection on the connection between democracy and peace.
To be selected and participate in the World Forum 2023, youth applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Age: Applicants should be between 18 and 30 years old. Exceptions can be made in special cases.
- English Proficiency: Applicants should have the ability to communicate and work effectively in English.
- Involvement in Civil Society: Applicants should be actively engaged in civil society democracy initiatives.
- Motivation and Contribution: Applicants should be motivated to contribute to the development of new ideas and perspectives on democracy and peace.
- Sharing Challenges: Applicants should be willing to share their own challenges related to democracy and peace.
- Solution-Oriented Approach: Applicants should be ready to approach the topic of democracy and peace with a solution-oriented mindset, bringing in new ideas and visions.
- Availability: Applicants should be available to fully participate in the World Forum for Democracy and the preparation process. This includes online preparation and being present in Strasbourg from November 3rd to November 9th.
- The selection of World Forum for Democracy 2023 youth delegates will be based on these criteria, and evaluated through the analysis of the online form and video submissions. The Council of Europe encourages applications from candidates who meet the profile requirements, regardless of gender, disability, marital or parental status, racial, ethnic, or social origin, color, religion, belief, or sexual orientation.
Financial and Practical Conditions of Participation for the World Forum for Democracy 2023
- Working Language:
The main working language of the World Forum for Democracy 2023 event will be English. Candidates must have a good command of English to effectively participate and communicate during the event.
- Travel Expenses:
Participants’ travel expenses and visa costs will be reimbursed based on the Council of Europe’s rules. Reimbursement will be provided upon submission of relevant receipts. Only participants who attend the entire event, including pre-Forum preparation and the World Forum for Democracy, are eligible for reimbursement. The reimbursement will be made through a bank transfer after the Forum. In exceptional cases, prepaid travel tickets may be arranged with justification.
Participants’ board and lodging will be provided and covered by the Council of Europe during the activity dates (arrival on Friday, November 3rd, and departure on Thursday, November 9th). Participants will be accommodated at the European Youth Centre in Strasbourg (EYCS). Accommodation will be arranged in shared rooms. The EYCS is accessible to young people with disabilities and is ready to accommodate their specific needs to ensure inclusivity and favorable working conditions. Wi-Fi is available in the rooms for participants’ use.
The World Forum for Democracy 2023 Preparatory meeting is from 4-5 November 2023, while the World Forum for Democracy 2023 WFD is from 6-8 November 2023
To apply for the World Forum for Democracy 2023, candidates must follow a two-part application process:
- Online Application Form: Complete the World Forum for Democracy 2023 through the online application form
- Short 1-Minute Video: Create a 1-minute video and post it on an online platform such as YouTube or Vimeo. The video should express the applicant’s thoughts on democracy and peace and explain why they should be selected to attend this edition of the World Forum for Democracy. Attach the video link to the online application form as per the instructions on the last page. Please ensure that the video link is accessible and properly attached to the application form. If the video link is not provided or cannot be accessed, the application will not be considered. For any security concerns regarding video sharing, contact the secretariat at WFDYouth@coe.int at least one week before the deadline.
The Youth Department and a team of trainers will review the applications and select up to 60 participants based on the outlined profile and criteria. The selection process will aim for a balance between genders, geographical regions, and diverse experiences, organizations, institutions, and projects. A waiting list may also be established. Candidates will be notified during the first week of September 2023 regarding the acceptance or rejection of their application, as well as their placement on the waiting list.
Selected participants who require a visa to travel to Strasbourg will need to initiate visa procedures immediately after receiving notification of their selection.
The completed online application form must be submitted before July 12th, 2023, at 13:00 CET (1 p.m.).
TECHNICAL NOTE ON HOW TO UPLOAD A YOUTUBE VIDEO
To upload your video on YouTube for the World Forum for Democracy 2023, please follow these instructions:
- Create a Google account if you don’t have one already. You can sign up
- Visit youtube.com.
- Click on the “Upload” link located at the top of the page.
- Select the video file you want to upload from your computer. You can also choose to record a video using your webcam or create a video slideshow.
- Wait for the upload process to complete. YouTube will notify you when your video has finished uploading and processing.
- Adjust your privacy settings: Ensure that your video is set as “Public,” which means anyone can view it. If you encounter any difficulties with making your video public, you should find an alternative method to share it separately.
- Copy the URL address (link) of your video. This link should be pasted in the designated field of the online application form. Videos sent separately will not be considered. Applications without a valid link to a viewable video will not be considered.
- If you prefer not to use YouTube, you can use another accessible platform to upload and share your video.
- Remember to submit your video along with your application before the deadline (Wednesday, July 12th, 13:00 CET / 1 p.m.). Technical support for video-related issues will only be available until this time.
- Video subject
you are required to address the following question within a 1-minute timeframe: “What are my thoughts about Democracy & Peace, and why should I be chosen to attend the World Forum of Democracy on the theme of ‘Democracy=Peace?”
Types of opportunity: Training program
Deadline: July 12th, 2023, at 13:00 CET (1 p.m.)
Open to: Youth aged 18 and 30.
Duration: November 4-8, 2023.
Location: European Youth Centre in Strasbourg, France.
Organizer: The Youth Department of the Council of Europe.
In case of technical problems with the use of the platform, please send an e-mail to youthapplications[at]coe.int
For any other questions about the World Forum for Democracy 2023 please send an e-mail to WFDYouth@coe.int
For more information visit World Forum for Democracy 2023