The YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa is offering an opportunity for young individuals from West Africa to apply for the YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program – Cohort 44. This program aims to develop the next generation of African leaders who will lead with integrity and set a positive example for others. The application deadline for this program is June 30, 2023.
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was created by the United States government to invest in the future leaders of Africa. The YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program is specifically searching for young men and women, aged 18 to 35, from countries such as Togo, Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast, The Gambia, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Cameroon, and Sierra Leone. The program is designed for young people who are ready to embrace leadership and are committed to working hard to bring positive transformations to their respective countries.
To be eligible for the YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program, you must meet the following criteria:
- You should be between 18 and 35 years old at the time of submitting your application.
- You must be a citizen and resident of one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia, or Burkina Faso.
- You should not be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the United States.
- You must be eligible to receive any necessary visa to travel to Ghana.
- You should have proficiency in reading, writing, listening, and speaking English.
- The competition for the YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program is merit-based, meaning that candidates will be selected based on their qualifications and potential for leadership.
Benefits of Applying to the YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program :
- Upon completing the program, participants will receive certificates and become members of the YALI Alumni network. This provides a valuable recognition of their participation and connection to a network of like-minded individuals.
- Participants will undergo comprehensive leadership training that will equip them with the necessary skills and knowledge for leadership roles in their respective fields. This training aims to prepare them to take on leadership responsibilities and make a positive impact in their endeavors.
- The YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa – Accra ensures that applicants will not face discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The selection process is fair and unbiased.
- The management of the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa – Accra reserves the right to verify all the information provided in the application. This ensures transparency and the accuracy of the application process.
The YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program offers three distinct tracks for participants to choose from:
- Business and Entrepreneurship: This track is designed for emerging or aspiring entrepreneurs who aim to assume leadership roles within the private sector or establish their own business ventures in Africa.
- Civil Society Management: This track is focused on individuals who are currently involved or aspire to be engaged in civic activities and serve the public through non-governmental organizations (NGOs), community-based organizations, or volunteer work.
- Public Policy and Management: This track caters to those who are currently working or aspire to work in various levels of government, including elected positions. It is also suitable for individuals interested in regional organizations such as the African Union or the West Africa Community, international organizations like the United Nations, or other public-minded organizations and think tanks.
If you are selected to participate in the YALI Regional Leadership Center – Accra program, the following expenses will be covered by the program:
- Visa: If you require a visa to travel to Accra, Ghana, the YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program will cover the visa expenses.
- Round-trip Travel: The program will cover the costs of round-trip travel from your country of citizenship to Accra, Ghana.
- Transportation: For participants who are not from Ghana, transportation will be provided from Kotoka International Airport to the YALI Regional Leadership Center – in Accra. For Ghanaian participants, transportation from their residence to the center will be provided.
- Academic and Leadership Course: The program covers the cost of the customized academic and leadership course offered by the YALI Regional Leadership Center.
- Accident and Sickness Benefit Plan: Participants will be provided with an accident and sickness benefit plan during the course of the program.
- Housing and Meals: The program covers the expenses for accommodation and meals during the program duration.
- Please note that the program will only cover transportation costs to and from Ghana if you reside within the countries served by the YALI Regional Leadership Center – Accra. If you reside outside of this defined region, the program will cover the transportation costs to/from Accra from your country of citizenship, and you will be responsible for any additional costs.
The selection process for participation in the YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program is a merit-based, open competition. Here is an overview of the selection process and the criteria used:
- Application Review: All eligible applications will be carefully reviewed by a selection panel. They will assess the qualifications and potential of each applicant.
- Semi-Finalist Interviews: Chosen semi-finalists will be invited for interviews. During the interview, further evaluation will be conducted to determine their suitability for the program.
- Final Selection: Based on the application review and interviews, a final selection will be made by the selection panel. The final participants will be chosen to join the program.
Criteria for Evaluation
The selection panel will use the following criteria to assess applications:
- Demonstrated Leadership: Evidence of leadership experience in public service, business, entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Community Engagement: Active involvement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship activities.
- Collaborative Skills: The ability to work well in diverse groups, respect different opinions, and demonstrate strong social and communication skills.
- Positive Attitude: An energetic and positive attitude towards personal and professional growth.
- Relevant Knowledge and Experience: Demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the selected sector/track of the program.
- Commitment to Community: A clear commitment to applying leadership skills and training to benefit their country and/or community after completing the program.
- Non-Discrimination: Applicants will not face discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socioeconomic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. The selection process is fair and unbiased.
The YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program is designed to provide young African leaders with comprehensive leadership training over a period of 17 weeks. The program consists of four phases, each focusing on different aspects of leadership development. Here is an overview of the program schedule:
- Coursework Phase (5 weeks)
The program starts with a 5-week coursework phase, which can be completed either in-person or online. During this phase, participants will engage in three core courses: Leadership and Accountability, Ethics, and Contemporary issues affecting Africa.
- Additionally, they will choose one elective course from three available options: Entrepreneurship, Public Policy, and Management, or Civil Society Management. The in-person training will be held at the Accra RLC in Ghana, while the online course can be accessed from any location within West Africa.
- Course facilitators/trainers, who are experienced leaders from Africa and around the world, will employ innovative teaching methods, including case studies, organizational analysis, and site visits, to enhance the learning experience. Evaluation methods will include self-evaluation, assessment of individual or group work, and feedback from course facilitators.
- Mentorship Program:
After completing the coursework phase, participants will enter a mentorship program. This phase will provide them with guidance and support from experienced mentors who will help them further develop their leadership skills.
- Internship or Community Service:
The next 12 weeks will be dedicated to an internship or community service. Participants will have the opportunity to gain practical experience and apply their leadership knowledge in real-world settings. This hands-on experience will contribute to their personal and professional growth.
- Report Writing Period:
In the final phase of the program, participants will engage in report writing. They will reflect on their learning journey, document their experiences, and share their insights and recommendations for future leadership development.
- Both in-person and online options are available for the coursework phase.
- The curriculum covers core courses on leadership, ethics, and contemporary issues, along with an elective course based on participants’ interests.
- Course facilitators/trainers are experienced leaders from Africa and around the world.
Innovative teaching methods, such as case studies and site visits, are used to enhance the learning experience.
- Evaluation methods include self-evaluation, assessment of individual or group work, and feedback from course facilitators.
- Online students have access to downloadable training materials, lecture transcripts, and reports on field visits.
- Communication platforms are provided for learner collaboration and engagement with course facilitators.
- Partnerships with leading universities, development organizations, and the private sector contribute to a strong and innovative curriculum.
How to apply
To apply for the YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program, please follow these steps:
- Click on the “Sign Up” link.
- Provide your name and create a password to create a new account.
- Enter your email address and password to log in to your existing account.
- Please note that only successful applicants will be contacted by the YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program. Ensure that you provide accurate and up-to-date contact information during the application process.
Types of opportunity: Leaders Training
Deadline: 30th June 2023
Worth: Fully funded program with covered expenses
Open to: 18 and 35 years
Duration: 17 weeks
Location: Accra, Ghana (in-person training) and online (for selected participants outside Ghana)
Organizer: YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa – Accra
Country: Ghana and West African countries.
For testimonies about YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program watch Jacob K. Gyans https://youtu.be/c994ZkEjHAQ and MamaMoni https://youtu.be/WxJk3ko1BPQ
For questions call +233 302401681/2/3 (Ext.1146) or email email@example.com
For more information visit YALI RLC West Africa Emerging Leaders Program – Cohort 44