It’s no longer news that the National Communication Commission (NCC) had made it compulsory for every mobile number in Nigeria to be linked to their NIN and failure to comply will result in their line being disconnected. A deadline has also been fixed to ensure that this instruction is adhered to.
However, some Nigerians who have the NIN are still unsure of how to go about linking their phone numbers to the 11-digit number.
So if you haven’t linked your NIN to your mobile number and you are probably wondering how to do so, it’s best to read to the end of this article.
National Identification Number Overview
The NIN an abbreviation for National Identification Number is a series of numbers assigned to a person by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC ) and it’s a unique number used for every transaction or operation that requires verifying individual identity. it’s mandated for all Nigerian citizens 16 years and above to have.
Once NIN is issued to someone, it cannot be used by any other person again. Each person’s NIN 11-digit number is unique to them. It is the NIN that helps to tie all records about a person in the database and is used to check and verify the identity of such a person.
Initially, the National Identification Number was only used for specific reasons and wasn’t really compulsory, as a result, most citizens of Nigeria didn’t deem it fit to get their own copy.
But there has been a turn of events, the reason that the National Identification Number has been inculcated in almost all transactions involved in Nigeria. Ranging from opening a bank account to travel, e.t.c. The recent development instructs that your National Identification Number is required even for something as simple as Sim registration.
So if you don’t have a National Identification Number and you are eligible to own one, it’s advisable to go get yours as soon as possible, as you will need it for most of your transactions in Nigeria.
Transactions That Require National Identification Number (NIN) include the following.
- Travel (international passport application & acquisition)
- Opening personal bank accounts
- Getting your driver’s license
- Obtaining your Permanent Voters’ Card
- Participating in the National Health Insurance Scheme
- Payment of your taxes
- Transactions related to your contributory pension scheme
- In 2019, the federal government made a directive that the National Identification Number is necessary for all students who want to participate in all National Examination e.g West Africa Examination Council(WAEC)
How To Link Your Nin To Your Mobile Number
Following the recent directive of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) for all SIM registrations to be paired with a National Identification Number (NIN) and failure to do so will result in your mobile line being barred from making or receiving calls and being disconnected.
When this recent development came about, it was quite difficult getting everyone’s mobile number linked within the stipulated deadline and there has been a huge public outcry about the sudden announcement of the policy and the short time frame to implement it.
The initial process required people to go to various telecommunication offices in order to link their National Identification Number (NIN) to their mobile number. This process became too tedious, strenuous, and time-consuming.
Following the National Communication Commission (NNC) instructions and in order to make the process easy and feasible, Nigeria telecommunication service providers in Nigeria ( MTN, GLO, AIRTEL, and 9MOBILE) have all created a shortcode for their subscribers to seamlessly complete the process without having to go to their various offices.
Well, we have gotten to the important aspect of this article so below are the following ways designed by each network to link your National Identification Number (NIN) to your mobile number.
How To Link Your National Identification Number (NIN) To An MTN number.
- Simply dial *785# using the MTN phone number you wish to link, enter your NIN and submit or;
- Dial *785#, Your NIN#, from the MTN phone number you wish to link. The number will be linked to your NIN automatically. Alternately
- You can also visit https://mtnonline.com/nin/ or download MyMTN App to submit your NIN details.
Complete the NIN linking form by entering your name, phone number, NIN, and email address.
Submit the form as soon as you’re done and wait for feedback from the network.
How to link your National Identification Number (NIN) to Airtel Phone Number
To link your NIN to your Airtel phone number, follow the steps below:
- Dial *121# on the Airtel line you wish to link.
- Type 1 for “NIN Capture” and send.
- Enter your 11-digit NIN and send.
- Wait for the message confirming your submission. If you get an error, just wait for some time and try again.
How To Link Your National Identification Number (NIN) To Glo Mobile Number
According to Globacom, “all our esteemed customers can now link their National Identification Number (NIN) to their mobile numbers by simply sending ‘UPDATENIN NIN FirstName and LastName’ to 109. For example, send ‘UPDATENIN 12345678903 Chidera Abdul-Ola’ to 109.”
You can now link your National Identification Number (NIN) to your mobile number as a Glo subscriber.
Using the online registration portal for Glo NIN registration
Glo Nigeria has designed a portal specifically to cater to the linking of your NIN to your sim. To do the linking of your SIM with your NIN immediately you can visit http://mobileapp.gloworld.com/glonin/home
How to Link Your National Identification Number (NIN) With Your 9mobile
To Link, your NIN with your 9mobile simply follow the simple steps
- Dial *200*8#
- Select option 2 to link your 11-digit NIN
- Input your 11-digit NIN
- You can also visit http://www.9mobile.com.ng/nin
Benefits of the National Identification Number (NIN)
Since it was inculcated into Nigeria Society, a lot of Nigerians aren’t really aware of the benefits of having NIN, if you ask around most Nigerians only have it because it was mandated for everyone.
But there are actually some benefits in having a NIN and below are a few of those benefits
- NIN helps in uniquely Identifying and verifying Individuals, NIN is unique to one person, simply put two people cannot have the same NIN and since the details of such a person have been recorded, it helps in easy verification of a person’s identity. This has helped prevent impersonation.
- It provides a platform where no one is excluded socially or financially, no matter your status in society, you are mandated to have your NIN
- Transforms the delivery of social welfare programs, especially those cut off from such benefits.
- It enables people to claim their entitlement to government welfare benefits.
- It helps to eliminate duplicate identity
- It helps to eliminate fraud
- Reduces cost of resources as infrastructures are shared
- Opening Bank accounts and other financial transactions
- Registration for National Examinations
- Obtaining your enhanced e-passport, and driver’s license among others.
Now that you are aware that linking your NIN to your mobile network is that simple, hurry now, use the unique code for your network and link your NIN to your mobile network if you haven’t done so to avoid disconnection.