Are you a citizen of Nigeria? If so, then you should be aware of the 11 digit Identification number that has been mandated by the federal government for all Nigerian citizens to get.
Well if haven’t been informed about it, then this article is for you and to those who are aware but haven’t gotten their own copy yet, this article will be more like a practical guide towards the process of NIN registration.
Our focus in this article will be on
- What is NIN
- Uses of the NIN
- Benefits of NIN
- How to apply for NIN Registration.
What is NIN
The NIN is an abbreviation for National Identification Number. It is a series of numbers assigned to a person by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC ). And it’s a unique number used for every transaction or operation that requires verifying individual identity. it’s mandated for all Nigerian citizens 16 years and above to own.
Once a NIN is issued to someone, it cannot be used by any other person again. That’s what procures the uniqueness of the number. The NIN helps to tie all records about a person in the database and is used to check and verify the identity of such a person.
According to the governmental decree, all citizens and legal residents of Nigeria are eligible and mandated to enroll for their NINs.
Why Do You Need The NIN?
It is majorly for ease of identification. Just like you have a phone so people can easily contact you, it’s advisable to also have your NIN so people can quickly identify you.
The National Identification Umber (NIN), is an 11 digit number that is assigned to a person for easy identification but if you are still wondering what or where it’s been needed, here is a list of the procedures where your NIN is used for.
- Applying for an international passport for travel and flight
- Opening and operating bank accounts and other financial transactions.
- Getting your driver’s license
- Obtaining your Permanent Voters’ Card
- Participating in the National Health Insurance Scheme
- Payment of your taxes
- Transactions related to your contributory pension scheme
- Registration for National Examination
- Sim card registration and linking
Benefits Of The National Identification Number (NIN)
Suppose you are to conduct a survey in Nigeria to enquire about the number of citizens who own their NIN and its benefit. In that case, you will discover that majority aren’t aware of NIN benefits. They probably acquired it based on the mandate from the government and to help them unblock their sim cards.
But here is a list of the benefits of your NIN
- The National Identification Number (NIN) helps in uniquely Identifying and verifying Individuals, this is because NIN is unique to one person, simply put two people cannot have the same NIN and since the details of such a person have been recorded,
- It helps in easy verification of a person’s identity. This has helped prevent impersonation.
- It provides a platform where no one is excluded socially or financially, this simply means that no matter your status in society, you are mandated to have your NIN.
- Transforms the delivery of social welfare programs, especially for those who are cut off from it
- It enables people to claim their entitlement from the government welfare benefits.
- It helps to eliminate duplicate identities.
- It helps to eliminate fraud
- Reduces the cost of resources as infrastructures are shared.
What Documents Do I Need For My Nin Registration?
You should visit any NIMC enrolment center with the following documents and information:
- Old National ID Card
- Valid Immigration documents
- Voter’s Card (Temporary and permanent are both accepted)
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Nigerian International Passport
- Staff ID card from a registered and recognized private organization
- Certificate of Origin
- Government staff ID card
- Attestation letter from a prominent community or religious ruler in your community
- Birth certificate or declaration of age
- NHIS ID card
Note: No registration fee is required, Your NIN is done for free and You need one registration to be issued both the NIMC card and NIN. The 11-digit National Identity Number (NIN) is however not the same thing as the National e-ID Card which is a physical token. The NIN can be used on its own for digital identity verification without the e-ID card.
Step by Step Approach On How To Apply For Your National Identification Number.
- You could proceed with registration by pre-enrolling – using the pre-enrollment service online
- Fill out the NIMC Pre-enrolment form online by visiting the official Pre Enrolment portal
- Complete the fields with the correct information and always cross-check for errors.
- Print the pre Enrolment form directly from the NIMC portal with a 2D barcode.
Submit your form at any NIMC Registration Centre
- Proceed to visit the nearest NIMC registration center with the documents we listed above or your printed barcode slip.
- At the registration center, an enrolment officer would verify your pre-enrolment form and other compliance documents required for your successful application.
- If all your documents are correct, the enrolment officer would direct you to where you’d proceed to capture your biometrics to finish the registration. This includes your ten fingerprints and facial images, after which they’d give you a Transaction ID slip as evidence of the transaction.
- Note that individuals who cannot read or write should be accompanied by a literate person, while minors are to go with their parents or guardians. This is to help with the filling of forms and supplying other personal information.
- Also, all minor applicants are required to bring a valid birth certificate and NIN slip from one of their guardians to be able to complete the registration.
- After completing the enrolment, a Transaction ID Slip will be issued to the applicant this serves as evidence of the transaction. However, the Transaction slip does not confer the right to National Identification Number.
- The applicant will be requested to come back for the NIN within 1-14 working days, as it is subjected to the availability of network, authentication, and verification.
- A National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is issued to the applicants after processing.
- The National e-ID Card will be issued to applicants within 12 months after the Issuance of NIN barring any unforeseen circumstances. Currently, the focus of the Government is to ensure the widespread issuance of the NINs to citizens and legal residents for effective digital identification across the country.
- Note: Actual NIN enrolment involves capturing your demographic data, fingerprints, digital signature, and head-to-shoulder facial picture. These features are used to cross-check for any existing data in the National Identity Database to ensure there is no already existing data about you.
How to Print Your Improved NIN Slip
Here are the steps to print your NIMC slip online:
- Download NIMC App from the Google play store.
- Log in with your NIN and create your password.
- Click on Print NIN slip.
- Click on Print Premium Slip.
- Make a payment of ₦1,000 online with Remita.
- Once payment is successful, download the PDF file.
- Take the file to the nearest cyber café and business center to print it out on paper or a plastic card.
As long as you are a citizen of Nigeria, having your National Identification Number is very important because you need your NIN for several enrolments that every citizen or indigen cannot do without.
So do follow these steps above and proceed to get your National Identification Number today.